Saturday, May 30, 2015

Corned Beef

When I was a kid, this was one food I absolutely hated. I remember once we went on a trip to Cooma and we were billeted out for our accommodation. My girlfriend and I (we were about 17 at that stage) were sent to a shabby old house with cobwebs hanging throughout the kitchen and it was just really grotty.


We were dished up corned beef with white sauce - and from that point on I was scarred for a very long time.


Fast forward 30 years and I find a recipe by chance for corned beef - I had been looking for something unusual and definitely something that was on the cheap side for sandwiches for lunch.... I found a recipe similar to this - I think that the cloves and cinnamon did it for me and now its a lunchtime favourite here for us.




Ingredients:

1 piece of corned beef (sized to suit your needs)
1 sliced onion
4 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
2 teaspoons of allspice
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons peppercorns
8 cloves
2 bayleaves
2 red hot chillies


Wash the meat!

Place all ingredients in the bottom of the pressure cooker. If you have a trivet that fits into the pressure cooker, place the meat on this.  Add extra water to bring liquids up to rack of trivet. Cook for 2 cycles on Pot Roast setting.



If using a slow cooker, same as above, no trivet -6-8 hours on low, turning meat regularly so it doesn't dry out.

Once cooked, into the fridge - slice up and sandwich with pickles and cheese - yummmm

Or serve as a main with mashed potatoes, strain juices and thicken to make a sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment